How big do African spur thighed tortoise get?
Size and lifespan sulcata is the third-largest species of tortoise in the world after the Galapagos tortoise, and Aldabra giant tortoise, and the largest of the mainland tortoises. Bill Branch reported a maximum size in the wild as 83 cm and 98 kg, but others state that they can reach 105 kg (231 lb).
How big does an African sulcata tortoise get?
Sulcata tortoises are big, slow, and tough survivalists. Adults average 18 inches in shell length and 70 to 100 pounds in weight, but specimens reaching two to three feet in length and upwards of 150 pounds aren’t uncommon. Sulcatas dig burrows in the ground where they take shelter from their harsh, hot, arid habitat.
Are African spurred tortoise friendly?
Sulcatas are known to be very sociable with their owners. They can form relationships with their owner, recognize them and have unique personalities. The Sulcata is a curious and docile tortoise that makes a great pet – even for households with young children.
Is the sulcata a spur thighed tortoise?
They are one in the same Rich Both are common names of Centrochelys sulcata. The other common name erroneously given to the Sulcata is Spur-thighed tortoise, which happens to be one of the common names of the Greek tortoise and not the Sulcata. They are one in the same Rich Both are common names of Centrochelys sulcata.
How did the African spurred tortoise get its name?
The sulcata tortoise commonly known as the African spurred tortoise is a species of tortoise with the genetic name geochelone sulcata. Its taxonomic name sulcata is derived from the physical appearance of its outer shell. Sulcata means furrow which refers to the deep furrows on the sulcus tortoises’ outer shell.
How long does an African sulcata tortoise live?
African Sulcata tortoises are long lived and very hardy. Expect a baby Sulcata tortoise for sale live 80-100 years. Depending on the level of care you provide your shelled buddy, he or she should outlive you! Quite a few Sulcata tortoise owners end up giving their baby tortoise as an older mature adult to their own children!
What should I Feed my sulcata African spurred tortoise?
The Sulcata diet should be very high in fibre and made up of about 85% grasses and hay, and the remaining 15% should be made up of essential weeds and flowers. Other plant material such as opuntia cactus pads and its fruit is also very high in fibre and can be fed in small quantities.