Can dogs have one square of chocolate?

Can dogs have one square of chocolate?

Chocolate is poisonous to dogs mostly because of its theobromine content, which dogs are unable to metabolize effectively. If your dog eats chocolate, you should monitor them closely and seek veterinary attention if they show any symptoms, or if they are very young, pregnant or have other health concerns.

Should a dog sleep after eating chocolate?

They’ve laid down and are sleeping. They appear to be OK and I’m watching them should. Chocolate toxicity can be very serious, but it also depends greatly on the size of the dog and the type of chocolate they have eaten. Generally, the darker and more bitter the chocolate, the high the concentration of theobromine.

What happens if a dog eats a piece of chocolate?

Chocolate is toxic to dogs, as it contains a chemical called theobromine, which can cause elevated heart rates, increased blood pressure, and even seizures. Dogs who have eaten chocolate must be treated immediately, as the larger the amount of chocolate and the longer it is in their system, the more danger there is for your pet.

Is it safe to give your dog dark chocolate?

The high level of theobromine in dark chocolate means it takes only a very small amount to poison a dog. Less than an ounce of dark chocolate may be enough to poison a 44-pound dog. Of course, never consider chocolate as a reward.

What kind of chocolate is best for dogs?

Different chocolate types have different theobromine levels. Cocoa, cooking chocolate and dark chocolate contain the highest levels, while milk chocolate and white chocolate have the lowest. If you’re dealing with any quantity of dark or bitter chocolate, err on the side of caution.

How much does it cost to get a dog out of chocolate?

Hospitalization from chocolate toxicity can be as short as one day or as long as several days, and the cost of treatment for chocolate toxicity can range from a hundred dollars to several thousand, depending on the severity of the poisoning. Keep all chocolate out of reach of dogs.